Re: Switch to synthetic at 160k?

Before everyone runs out and buys "gas station" oil, consider that the aviation
industry's standard is synthetic, and that synthetic protects longer.  Plus,
many synthetics have superior low temp pumpability, lubricating engine parts
sooner upon start up, where the vast majority of engine wear occurs (of
particular interest to Canadians, and other northern climate dwellers).  Plus,
if you loose your oil and it's dino oil, forget it. New engine. At least with
synthetic, the longer thermal breakdown might give you a chance.  I agree that
most oils will have about the same results in normal conditions, but in cold,
hot, and any other extreme operating conditions, no contest, like in racing,
when all the oil ends up at one end of the motor or another.  Car and Driver
testing oil is like any other mag that needs to court favor with their
advertisers, more of which sell swamp oil than synth.

Jim

lerb wrote:

> I know this a constent Debate on this list but.....I think everyone who is
> considering going to Synthetic should read car and drivers report on oils
> and see that in fact in there study with over 200 types of oils they used on
> cars for long term they were unable to find ANY oils that were better than
> one another....They even went as much to say in the report that Synthetic
> had NO better protection for ANY of the cars they tested long term......The
> only thing it may have done that they noticed is reduced the temp by as
> little as 6 degrees for the first two months of having it in the test
> vehicles.....Now the thing they did was changed the oils at the manufactures
> (oil compnays that is) request so regular oils were changed at 3,600 and
> synthetic was changed at 5,000 (miles)...they noticed no differance at
> all.....and in the long run regular oil was still 30% cheaper!

Need Wheels?  Visit my site at Bahnburners!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5211/index.html