RE: [Opinion] Front End Anti-Sway Bar Theory

---jacobss@greatoaks.com wrote:

> Yes I am a follower, but to a certain degree, I run a stock rear bar
with a
> 25mm rear bar.  Yes I run 2 bars out back.  I run the stock front
bar on the
> road, why, because it does help make the car understeer a little.
For an
> auto-x I remove the front bar, and just run the rear.  THIS make the
car
> oversteer, just what I want in an auto-x, it is controllable.  But I
return
> it to mild (very mild) understeer for the street.  That way if
anybody else
> drives it will still plow a little.
>
> Stephen Jacobs

This is where adjustable shocks come in handy.  I run the Neuspeed 22
front bar with the stock rear bar to be legal in stock class.  With
the help of the Koni's it is a snap to dial in/out oversteer.  Crank
the rears full firm and bingo oversteer.  After an event or for street
driving, I run the rears full soft, and give the fronts a turn toward
firm.  Having a custom wheel alignment also helps.  Seems like too
much work to keep R&Ring the swaybar.  I hated changing tires so much,
I have started driving to and fro events on the race tires (R1's past
now Kumhos).

I am convinced between tire pressures and adjustable shocks, you can
make the car pretty much do what you want when it comes to dialing
in/out over/understeer.  Talking stock class racing that is.

==
- -Paul
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan
98 Beetle TDi