Re: Driving from USA into Canada

At 02:30 PM 8/20/98 -0700, you wrote:

>  I plan on heading up into BC for a VW show over the weekend and all this
>talk of taking pictures of plates really scares me.  What I want to know
>is can they do anything about me not having the front plate on my car?
>Should I have any problem going into Canada or coming back without a front
>plate?  Also, what is the tax rate for buying stuff in Canada and then
>declaring it at the border.  I wouldnt otherwise but the stuff I might
>buy, tires, are too large to go unnoticed.

There's no problem comming up from the US into Canada.  You tell the border
guards why you're going up, and that's it.  About the plate issue, don't
worry about it, in Quebec, they don't have front licence plates either.
Like in the US, the plates differ from province to province.  When you're
comming back down to the US, you may have to pay american taxes on the
goods that you bought in Canada, but other than that, i think you're fine.
Canadian's love americans spending money here, so comming up you should
have NO problems whatsoever, but the US customs doods are the ones you have
to watch out for ;).

Chris Cuzner (cuznerc@gilmore.ca)
File Management (Data Center)
Gilmore Global Logistic Services