Driving from USA into Canada

  I plan on heading up into BC for a VW show over the weekend and all this
talk of taking pictures of plates really scares me.  What I want to know
is can they do anything about me not having the front plate on my car?
Should I have any problem going into Canada or coming back without a front
plate?  Also, what is the tax rate for buying stuff in Canada and then
declaring it at the border.  I wouldnt otherwise but the stuff I might
buy, tires, are too large to go unnoticed.

 Andre'
 Neon Green 79