RE: Baffled Tips

On Tuesday, August 18, 1998 10:23 AM, Shannon Fenton
[SMTP:sfenton@telegroup.com] wrote:
> I have a brand new (4000mils)TT downpipe w/no cat and full TT cat back
system
> with the Magnaflow muffler. The problem is that it has gotten unbearably
loud.
> Ive gotten two noise pollution tickets already. Even after showing the
officer the
> install and receipts from Mark@AAB. I recently took pictures for
Scirocco.org
> and now if I receive another ticket I guess Ill have to bring it in. Its
not
> illegal to not have a cat in Iowa. You just cant sell a car without one.
And I think
> not having having one may have fried my muffler. Onto my question, has
anyone
> had any experience with baffled tips to quiet mufflers down? Specifically
Monza
> tips. Im looking at a dual baffled tip and in Supersprint's catalog and
they
> claim it lowers exhaust noise considerably. Hell for 80.00 bucks it had
better make
> it sound like a Ferrari! Thanks for any help you can provide.
>

> Thank You For Your Time,
>  Shannon Fenton
> sfenton@telegroup.com
> 16volt@scirocco.org

Sorry ocifer I will try to get it fixed but it is a German car and you know
how mechanics are round here.

Seriously though,  when I put on my modified 16V cat back system I had the
muffler shop install a supertrap resonator in place of the stock 16V one.
 I have tri-y headers and a hollowed cat so I was concerned about loudness.
 (I have to drive clients around sometimes).  I would have you local
muffler dude just weld in a resonator.  You probable took out the stock one
right???

Even with a high flow muffler my system is a quiet, sounds a little like a
modified g60.

You wouldn't happen to want to sell the old cat would you???

Brian Honnold
'78 Rocco Ragtop