88 scricco probs and query

My 88 8v scirocco's problems:

- - rear wiper sometimes comes on, for no reason,  for about 5 or 6 times,

  usally after I start the car up.

- - enigine revs oddly when started, but becomes OK after it warms up,
  is it a oxygen sensor?

General WANTS:

Is a 16V'er or a VR6 better in this VW?
it only has drums at the rear.

How hard is it to put either of the above?

Which donor car would be best suited?

What other VW's options, (AC, PW, heated mirrors and maybe PL)
can I get to put in this VW besides a scirocco?

Heated mirrors are great, I am in Canada, you know, lotsa snow <g>.

All help and ADVICE is appreciated.

Regards.
Stv/ Stephen

88 8V Scirocco - daily driver
86 8V GTI, full options - ONGOING project

*** Remember: Speeding is against the LAW, but WHAT a FEELING!!! ***