Re: (Warning! Technical Post!) Auto to 5spd Conversion !!!!!!

Just thinking off the top of my head (never done it before). I think that the
things you would need to do would be the following:
1. Remove auto trans, install manual trans (no kidding!)
2. Step 1 would include changing the starter and installing a clutch (you will
need a flywheel and bolts, and maybe a rear cover plate... the one that goes
behind the pressure plate... that might be different, I don't know)
3. Install different pedal cluster
4. Install clutch cable
5. Remove old shifter linkage, install new linkage (I would think this would be
a bolt-up job, but I don't know. If I were VW, I wouldn't make a body that was
transmission-specific. I would make all the holes and such for both. But I'm
not in charge of VW. No kidding)
6. Figure out some way to get reverse lights (different plug, I would guess)
7. Install different speedo cable

Hmmm... let's see... probably different driver's side and front motor mounts...
rear one, too, maybe? Ummm... I'm sure there's other stuff. Probably something
really obvious that I'm just not thinking of. I would hope the starter wires
would just move over to the new location... and I hope the shift lever would
bolt into the floor. I'd bet money (although not very much) that it would....
    Good luck!
    -Josiah