From: "PC Handyman" <pchandyman@earthlink.net>
To: "VW A2 16v List" <A2_16v@connecticom.com>,"Scirocco List"
<scirocco-L@scirocco.org>
Subject: Making a 4 door GTI.
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 13:16:52 -0400

Stuff said by Mark Stanton,

>But you also want to consider that you have a GTi and this
other car
>is a Golf, right?  The GTi has rear disk brakes

***Only certain year GTIs have rear discs - mainly 16V. The 8V GTI
generally duz not.

 and I think
the Golf
>has drums.  The GTi has vented front rotors and I remember
some Golfs
>only having solid front rotors.

***Put vented rotors on. Very simple.

  Also, there's the
difference in the
>motor, or were you going to swap that with the tranny?  And
if you
>swap the engine, I think you'll want to change over the
axles as well
>because your GTi uses beefier CVs/etc.  It's going to be
plenty of
>work and you may downgrade more than you upgrade.

***If you're gonna swap the motor, the axles and tranny come out anyway -
not really any more work.

This biggest potential pain would be setting up the knock sensor. (the
Golf is an '85, right? - or is it the '89))

If it's an '88 or later Golf (U.S.), it has the knock sensor and the
100mm output flanges anyway.

Swap the springs and swaybars too.

Personally, I say do it. By the way, in Europe, a 4 door GTI was
available :)

    "A few points taken there, but there are quite a few
counter arguments caused by the difference of mileage. The
Golf has 140k(tight) and the GTI has 231k(tired). Golf has
great AC; GTI :dead compressor. Golf has great steering
rack, bushings, struts, bearings, etc. GTI: well, ooold.
Golf has a straight body, no dents, rust, etc. GTI: Not so
good. Lets just say that I could have been more careful
leaving the bar... a few times.

    So basically, If you had had some idea of the state of
the cars involved, you'd have said "yeah, good idea. Your
car's about dead anyway."

    Besides, I think a 4 door GTI would be really cool. This
car is my "weekday commuter / grocery getter", so the extra
two doors would be really useful. If I wanna really rip it
up, I'm gonna get in my cabbie anyway...

    So, I guess I'm gonna go for it. Unless there are any
more who say nay?"

- -Noah
- -87 GTI 8v
- -83 16v Cabrio
- -89 Golf 4d
- -looking for a 'rocco  (Hey, what happened to ol' JR?)

Stuff I said:

>> I'm thinking about trying to convert a golf that I just
>> bought for $250 (bad auto tranny) over to a 5 spd. Can
>> anyone tell me how difficult this is? (without telling me
>> about some urban myth/horror story) I have access to all
the
>> materials I need. I am only considering this because the
car