Re: Maine Forest Pro Rally

Anthony Pelletier wrote:

> actaully I think it may have been a driver problem.  I remember the
> argument between driver and navigator.  I think it had something to
> do with excessive understeer. THey could have argued all day about it.

I take 75% of the blame for that "off". I was driving too fast for the
conditions -i.e. loose golf ball-sized rocks littering the road for miles. With
stock springs and Bilstiens, the rally car's suspension wasn't exactly up to the
task. And more importantly, my skills aren't there yet to compensate for it. Ya
live and learn, eh?

What happened with the navigator, however, was that he called out a "sweeper
right" instead a a "HARD! 90deg right!" His mileages were off because he had
calibrated the odometer for the street instead of the dirt. And of course this
contributed to my stuffing the car. However, I should have realized that he
might be a bit off, given that I've got more navigating *and* driving experience
than him. Oh well...

Now the "animated discussion" that transpired about the understeer was actually
between me and my crew guy. I maintained that in order to encourage more
oversteer, I should *reduce* some air from the rear tires. His judgement called
for *adding* air. To take that approach, I feel that I'd have to add so much
that the rear of the car would be bouncing all over the place on the rocks. -not
the best thing...

There is an optimal range as far as air pressure is concerned. Go to far low or
too high and either way you'll reduce traction. But, imo reducing air was the
only correct solution. It didn't matter at that point, however. We were already
well out of the rally.

NEXT TIME!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

"Rally: the motorsport with lots of steep learning curves, rocks, trees, and
other nasty things to dent your car..."