Re: Audi engine in VW

David LeDeaux wrote:

> Hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a little bit :)

Nope, not at all -just stay out of my nose... ;^)

> Do they have a website?

Nah...

> How much did you pay for the engine?

My wallet was dented by a magnitude of $500 for the delivered shortblock with no
distributor.

> Should I try and get a head from a JH engine?  Or are the valves the same size?

JH? That's the 8V hydraulic GTI head, right? That would work just fine. However,
I elected to use a solid lifter head from my Rabbit GTI. The solid heads don't
float the valve lifters as much at crazy rpms. As far as the valves are
concerned, they are the same between the VW GTI heads -i.e. solid vs. hydro. And
remember, you have to use a VW head; the Audi head won't work because it is set
up for longitudinal mounting (north/south) as opposed to the VW which is
transverse (east/west).

> I was wanting to use Audi 4000 intake and Audi 5000 throttle body as
> well... do you recommend a different combo or will this be good?

Honestly, I don't really know much about the Audi 4k intake. I've got a ported
version of my old manifold on there and it works very nicely. As for the throttle
body, however, yes, do it! Mine actually came off a VW Quantum (same as an Audi
4k).

> Also, my friend was telling me that with a g-grind cam you have to sometimes
> grind the head down a little?  He suggested a eurocam from a GTI... do you know
> anything about this?

Tell your friend to do a little more research because the solid lifter euro GTI
cam *is* the g-grind. And you don't have to grind anything away at all. In fact,
I've never heard of a need to clearance the head for any cams meant to be run
with fuel injected heads. Maybe this would be necessary for wild profile carb
cams, but I doubt it.

> Thanks for the help

No problem, bro. Ask me some more if you want.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut