Rough shifting advice?

Hi Guys..

I have a question, but let me first remind you: I'm new to this VW stuff. I
know how to check the oil and other fluid levels, but that's about it, so go
easy on me!

Anyway, I've noticed lately that shifting in my 8v is really rough. I mean The
stick doesn't just slide into gear but it's very very notchy. I know it has to
be pretty notchy because all A1s are but I'm pretty sure it wasn't always THIS
bad.

I never have a hard time finding the gears because I'm familiar with the car
but I bet anyone else who tried to drive it would have some trouble.

The transmission was replaced several months ago. I think there's a tranny from
a GTi in there now.

So my question is, is there anything relatively simple I can try to make
shifting smoother? I was thinking transmission fluid maybe... but the manual
says the transmission fluid never needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance

- - David Schrimpf    (david@cybermail.net)
- - '85 Scirocco  8V  Wolfsburg Edition