Re: Engine code question

There are many VW 1.8 liters available-
JH (in the early models) was a solid lifter, 90 hp,
very reliable motor used in the Early GTi's and
Scirocco 8V's(and Cabrio)
some say the solid lifter head takes better to
performance mods,
as there is no "cushion" in the lifters so it allows
for higher rev's

Personally, I like the later model RD or PF code
engines-Hydraulic lifters,
100+ HP, 110+ FT Lbs. torque.

Here is a chart from my Bentley Golf manual- (these are
all 1.8's)

Engine code-            HP        Torque     compression                 =
   notes-

   JH                            90             ?               9-1
   GX                           85            96              9-1        =
             Early Golf=20
    MZ                           90            98              9-1       =
               later Golf
   HT                           100          105            10-1         =
           85-87 GTi (8v)
   RD                           102         110           10-1           =
     Later Jetta, golf (digifant?)
   PF-                          105          114           10-1          =
          Digifant
   PL                            123         120           10-1          =
          1.8 16v

Hope this helps,

     Percy.