Re: AGB transmission serial numbers AGB

Paul Krucke wrote:

>      Ok, I have to get this out. Some may say bullshit, but either my VDO is way
>      out of calibration or there is something to be said about Tranny code AGB.
>      Of the 12,000 Scirocco's imported in 1987 mine has been the only one I have
>      seen with an AGB trans code, all others are 2Y.
>
>      In third gear at 7200rpm I hit 90mph, no-shit, it is great on straight
>      on-ramps.

	Sounds just about right to me.  Unfortunately, as you may recall, my
tranny went Boom!, although I don't think it was the original (my engine
is from an '88).  Plus my mechanic couldn't figure out exactly where the
tranny was from, I think the markings might have been removed?

>      I have seen once a post that said the AGB was the same ratios as
>      the 2Y, but something IS different as I have driven 2Y 16v's, and they take
>      me in 1st and 2nd, then I hit 3,4 and were even, then after a moment I
>      slowly inch away.

	Whoa, there's two trannies?  How does the Jetta GTX tranny compare?  I
can tell you that before, I had no real pull in 5th gear, but now I
don't have to downshift like before.  There's lots of tug.

>      I tested this out with a friend who has a 16v 2Y.

	You mean you actually have a friend with a 16V Roc?  That is too much
fun.  Having another one around with which to compare mine to would be
great.

>      Also, I have broken the stated 122/127mph top end limit with my needle one
>      needle thick past 130mph.

	Before I blew my tranny out, I had the car at a steady 207 km/h (128
mph) for about a minute or two...I was following this guy in a tricked
VR6 GLX.  Although I've gone 200km/h (±5 km/h) about 8 times in the past
3 days, I haven't had it there long enuff to get up to 130mph.  I'll
keep trying tho :)

>      Can anyone else vouch for this.  The guy at my local tuner confimed that
>      with the AGB in a rocco, and the given drag coefficient that it is
>      possible.

jason
87 16V