Low Voltage at Startup (Alternator ?)

While we're talking about Alt's.....

I've noticed that the Voltage warning light stays on when I start my car.
It will stay on until I rev it up to about 2500rpm.  I once killed my battery
by not revving up to "thunk" the volts up.  I'm assuming It's either my Alt or
my Voltage reg.  Anyone run into the same problem?  I've noticed it happen on
my friend's 86 Rabbit too!  If you did, what was the problem?

Thanks in advance...
Chad Ptasinski
1985 8V Scirocco
"http://www.cadvision.com/Home_Pages/accounts/chadwick/"