Re: A Distraught Scirocco Owner....

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 03:30:14 -0400 (EDT) yu129742@yorku.ca (Sal Guzzo)
writes:
>I gotta vent this one out.  So bare with me...
>
>So, there I was, all anxious to pick up my 81 Scirocco from the shop in
>hopes that I would be able to drive it.  I haven't driven the beast for
>nearly a month or so.  Evidently, I was terribly excited to get behind
the
>wheel and take on the road so often travelled.  At the shop, the owner
>informs me that a new gas tank was installed but he did not replace the
>shocks which were under warrantee.  Instead he notes that he had
installed
>the wrong Neuspeed lowering springs.  He says that the ones installed
were
>good for the earlier rabbits and not the Mki roccos.  The reason being
that
>the scirocco's were heavier and thus, the springs were susceptible to
sag.
>Fine, the new springs will be in within 2 weeks.  BTW, he mentions the
car
>won't start.

That sounds very fishy to me kiddo. Im no spring PN expert but it seems
to me that when you buy springs, or look then up in any advertisers
catalog they have the same part number for the Scirocco and Rabbit. I
think he's using the "pulled wool" trick. that's my gut feeling tho, and
like I said, im not sure. (Am always leery of shop mechanics anyway.
don't trust them, never will. I do my own mechanizing!) I hope somebody
will know the real answer here.

>After a boost or two, I get my rocco cranked and ready to hit the road.
>However, as the rocco attempts to warm up, it revs up and then drops and
>shuts off.  I'm frustrated and confused.  Until the car is warmed up, it
>continues to shut off.  It appears as though the car doesn't want to
stay
>on.  I ask myself  "Could it be the cold-start valve, the fuel filter or
the
>fuel pump?"  I have no clue, although I'm leaning towards the cold-start
>valve.  Fine I could get that fixed I just wanna drive the rocco.

Hmm, it could be. How long before it dies? Can you keep it running with
the throttle?

>Off to the streets I go, but I notice that after about 3500rpms, the
engine
>seems to rev but the car remains stable.  Basically, you can hear the
engine
>revving but the car isn't pulling whatsoever.  Now, I'm pissed.  The
poor
>little rocco persists in not pulling at higher rpms and neither does it
want
>to start.  I'm utterly frustrated and confused.  What should I do?

Fuel starvation? that's what it sounds like to me. Fuel filter, fuel
pump.
Tell me again why it was in the shop? after a month, it should be all
fixed I would think...

>Let me add to my list of minute worries. My temp gauge no longer works
and
>neither does the gas gauge.  Now I'm totally pissed off.  I'm
considering
>rewiring the entire rocco.  Can this be done?  Could I do this task on
my
>own with relative ease.  I would like to put a new engine, possibly a
2.0,
>but I don't know how many of these ills will be cured.

Gas gauge doesn't work? Its a new gas tank, right? Maybe the mechanics
simply forgot to hook up the wires? You could check it with a #2 phillips
screwdriver. Remove the 3 screws and remove the plate. Under the plate is
the fuel gauge. Check the wiring underneath, its a simple plug
connection.

>For now I'm saying a little prayer for my rocco.  I want to see it happy
>again.  Actually I want to feel happy as well.  I think I'm gonna tell
>little miss rocco to find herself a job so that she can pay for her own
>expenses.  Whatcha think?

Uh... Is this in reference to your human girlfriend?
Uh... I dunno.

>Thanks for hearing me out.  Me and my rocco haven't really had a good
>summer.  I have a feeling that she wants to break up with me like my
last
>rocco did.  How can I stay with her?  She means a lot to me and I need
her.
>I want to experience that loving feeling again and rekindle what we had
>going good before.  Presently, I'll just work at her little at a time,
but I
>don't know how much more I can take.  Sorry for rambling.......
>
>Sal

And this is in reference to your car, right?
As far as your car having problems, you got to remember one thing, its
old, and it will need repairs from time to time. All the old components
will wear out and fail in time. Eventually, you will become like me and
have virtually all new parts in the car. There's only a few items I
haven't replaced but im working on it! I find that its still much cheaper
than buying a new car!

As I have said before, I have got well over $6000 into my car. Show me a
new car in half as good shape as mine for that amount of money. Its just
not out there. So, I look at it that way. It makes the constant spending
of money on the car bearable. At least its mounds cheaper than a new
car's payment too.
There's my outlook on life.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and