Re: Power windows (was:Re: Parts needed)

Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> > I put my switches in the center console ala Audi Coupe.  In fact, that's
> > what I got the wiring harness out of.  I had the Coupe power units in it
> > as well until one of then burned out, then I switched to Jetta units
> > which fit my door alot better.  It still took a little sawing and
> > filling though.  Before I get flamed by people wondering why I just
> > didn't get Scirocco units, let me say that Roccos are few and far
> > between in parts yards in Texas.  You take what ever works.
>
> i know how it is!!! I used a 3-gauge panel in my rocco out of an Audi
> GT,and if the friggin oil pressure sender had'nt been located at the
> bottom of the audi engine I woulda used that too...too few decent
> sciroccos in Texas!

Yeah, I got the 3 gauge panel out as well.  Did a real good job fitting
it into the ashtray area.  I was stumped on the oil pressure sender unit
though.  How did you hook that up?  I've got mine loose, reading
nothing.

> > Anyway, I CAREFULLY cut holes in the part of the central console just
> > aft of the stick and the switcheds popped right in.  Easy.  And It's
> > great having the switches in the middle where both driver and passenger
> > can roll down both windows.
>
> hrm nice..what about the Jetta panel? I used to own an '89  Jetta GL
> and it had a real nice switchpanel inthe middle of the console..try
> fitting that in where the ashtray is? or maybe mount it flat just in
> front on the shifter..raised a little..i know theres an inch or so of
> clearance beween where the casset holder (was) and the metal hump.

I dont know anything about using other consoles.  I just used what I
had.  The switches fit well and are ergonomic where they're at.  I
usually drive with my hand resting on the E-brake so the switches are
right at hand.

> speaking of power windows...how hard is it to add power windows??

Not that bad if you have power tools and you don't mind doing a little
cutting and drilling to fit the track to the door.  Aligning the track
is tricky.  If you don't get it right, it will make it tough to roll
your window up and down and you will eventually burn out your motor.
You probably wouldn't have to put up with all this if you could find
Rocco power windows, but we dont have any of those around here.