Re: Idle mania!

>Why can't things just STAY fixed? I guess it's cause we like to get out
>and USE our cars, huh?
>

>After a ~40 minute interstate cruise I came to a stop and my idle would
>not drop below 2000K. Actually, that's exactly where it was stuck!
>Approximately 2 weeks ago it went up to about 1200, which was fine by me
>at the time...
>
>This morning when I fired it up, the idle was at 1500, and after it warms
>up, it slowly creeps up to 2000 again. Help me!
>
>I checked the throttle adjustments on the throttle body, and everything
>was already adjusted as far as it would go..(perhaps the previous owner
>had probs, too?) I've had this baby since July.

  When you say you checked the throttle adjustments, are you referring to
the throttle stop screw? This shouldn't be adjusted to fix an idle problem.
There is another screw on the throttle body, on the back side next to the
firewall. This is the idle adjsutment screw. Try adjusting the idle with
this screw. If you find that the screw fixes it, but only for a day or two,
you probably need a new O ring on the screw. The O ring is what holds the
idle screw in place. When it gets old, it gets very hard, and doesn't do
its job. Back the screw out, find a replacement O ring, replace it, and
your throttle problems are solved. Of course you could also fix it by
swapping on a 52mm throttle body off an A2 or Audi.
It worked for me:)

   I've also had a throttle cable stick to cause the idle to jump up, but
that doesn't sound like the problem you're having.

Brad