Re: Oil Cooler in 1.7L Engine....

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997 15:10:48 -0700 (PDT) Etop Udoh <eudoh@crl.com>
writes:

> The guy said that the main problem was the water line...which was
supposedly
>in the wrong place on a 1.7L engine.....or something along that line..

OK, the 1.7L has the water outlet from the head between the  #2 and #3
cylinder.  The 1.8L has the water outlet from the head between the #3 and
#4 cylinder.
I still don't see any problem this could cause, at all, whatsoever. .

This might not be an easy task but can someone describe this oil cooler
to me? (I don't have a Bentley... sorry.)
I'll use my cooler as a description example. Its kinda simple really.

My oil cooler is a sandwich plate that mounts between the oil filter and
the oil filter housing. It has 2 lines that come out of the sandwich
plate and run to the passenger side of the radiator (and A/C condenser)
and around to the front of the radiator where the 10 row cooler mounts to
the top of the core support (I think) with 2 studs.
So my oil cooler consists of 1 sandwich plate, 2 oil lines and 1 cooler.

OK, wait. This is a stock cooler, right? Its a oil to water cooler... OK,
Ok, ok.

I just called the Potterman. (he was sleeping, YES!!!) He clued me in on
the problem your having.
You know what? You cant use the oil to water cooler on a 1.7L. Sorry. :)
That's why he said that bit about the hoses being wrong. Now it makes
sense to me. I was under the impression you had a real oil cooler.
(something like I described above.)
There was never a 1.7L that came with the stock oil to water cooler. Not
only that, you really don't want that cooler. This is a rare case when
having no cooler is better than having this partictular one. They have a
fabulous history of leaking either into the water or water into the oil.
Its not worth the hassle or the risk IMHO and IMPO.

>Also, according to the bentley, that's the oil cooler used on 1983
Scirocco
> GT models, 1984 convertibles, Sciroccos, and Jetta GLI models....
>
> Would anyone mind swapping me out the Oil cooler that I have for one
that
>would work on an '82 Scirocco ????

I saw somebody on the NG that had a Thermostated 14 row oil cooler for
$250. That was awhile ago tho.. I can check my archive for you but for
that price you might want to call/email Tim at ND and see what he can do
for you. He got me a great deal on my oil cooler for my car! (And I have
A/C, which most nobody would sell me an oil cooler for.)
GL and sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and