One more important question... (much shorter!)

Now comes the question part of the post:

1. 'While it's out' (the a-arm, for drilling, I mean) should I replace my
ball joints? How about replacing all of those front control arm bushings
with polyurethane? If I do this, are there any surprises lurking for me?
*How much damage will this do to my wallet?*
2. How do I install the damned bar? Looking at it, it appears to attach to
the control arm on top? Is this correct? When I measure and mark the
drilling points, should there be a load on the arms (should the wheels be
on the ground? This would make sense to me, but how do I mark where the
drill holes should be? Is there a template to follow where to drill
available?
3. I guess I should take the arms off when I drill. Will this affect my
alignment?
4. What should I lubricate the bushings with? (Assuming that I actually DO
get to the point of being able to do anything!)
5. Why me? I'm a good guy!

Any hints, answers, or commiserating stories will be very welcome! (Sorry,
though, my beer budget was blown at the machine shop...)

Greg
82 Scirocco
91 Jetta (With new GTLMA brake fluid! The one bright spot in my day!)