Re: A/C Removal

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:22:23 -0400 "Brubaker, John" <JBrubaker@AMF.com>
writes:
>Ok, thanks everyone for their replies to my last questions (namely
>Shawn - I'm looking to wire up the oil pressure guage today).  NOW I
>have a real problem.  Well, I finally got the middle metal guard off
>(actually pretty easy if you move it the right way) but the bottom
>plastic guard continues to be a pain.  So, I start to remove the
>crankshaft gear.  I get the four outer bolts off, pull off the pulley,
>spacers, etc and then there are four more allen bolts.  I loosen up
>one, two, three...the fourth one isn't budging.  In this process the
>bolt becomes stripped (what were they thinking about using allen bolts
>for???).  I'm stuck, there is nothing else I can do.  Does anyone have
>any advise how to get this off?  I'm actually sorta worried.  Let me
>know what you think.
>
>John
>80 Scirocco S (needs to be running for autocross this weekend)
>85 GTI

(Im glad I could help!)
Drill!! You gotta get a drill bit the same size as the bolt and drill out
the head of the bolt. (Don't forget to buy a new one) Once you have
removed the head of the bolt and the timing gear, get a vice grips and
remove the stud from the crank. Once the pressure from the head of the
stud is gone, the stud should come out really easy. (At least that s
always been my experience.)
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and