Re: Speaking of wheels... and cutting springs... ;)

On Tue, 16 Apr 1997 15:53:09 -0700 Jason Brunberg <stoopid@idirect.com>
writes:
>Benton Yoshida wrote:

>The car handles like it's on rails, looks like it's crawling across the
>floor, does not bottom out, and makes me damn jealous.  BTW, for
>anyone out there who thinks that I'm wrong can bl*w me.  I've seen, I've

>driven in it, and I've been a passenger in it.  It's imaculate...true
pro
>spring chop.  Although I do not suggest that everyone goes out and
>chops coils off their springs.  Just saying that it can be done without
>adverse effects.
>
>jason
>87 16V (chopped front springs to keep it on the ground when raping the
>local Civic         population)

Well, ive got a comment on cutting springs. Im not an anti spring cutter,
nor a pro spring cutter. (Not that that matters.) As my best medical
advice, I will say that cutting stock springs is a bad idea for the main
reason that you can drastically alter the spring rate as well as shorten
the spring enough to cause serious problems with the height of the spring
perch as it relates to the spring perches.

Now, a spring like Neuspeed has a few extra coils at the bottom that do
nothing more than add height to the spring. Cutting as much as 2 coils on
these springs can be done safely without effecting the performance of the
spring. (seen it done)

if your on a no bucks budget, cut the springs. if you can afford to do it
right, get the springs and do it, right.

Then there is the issue of lowering a car too much. For asthetics, I love
a slammed speed bump scraping car! To me, looks like its ready to race
with them DTM, NATCC cars. As its been discussed here before (several
times I think) you are limited to how low you can lower a car before the
geometry is all wrong thus loosing the performance out of the car's
suspension.
Nuff said, its time for Mannix to step up and give a shout!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and