Re: Tachometer (RPM) Trouble

Chances are that this problem has to do with your printed circuit ribbon
behind the dash console that includes the speedo, tacho, etc.  Mine did
the same thing.  Ended up being a short on that cheap ribbon circuit
paper stuff.  Look in the Bentley for insight.  TO fix mine, I had to get
a whole new instrument cluster.  $$$$$$

Kris Tewkesbury
86 8v

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Mawster Chadwick wrote:

> 'Rock on
>
> Um.  At times, my Tachometer will become disconnected, and not read
> anything but zero.  It seems to happen when I hit bumps just the
> right way.  It usually fixes itself while my 'rocco is parked for
> a while.
>
> I don't know where the pickup for RPM's is on the motor (and/or where
> any loose connections could be on the way to the Instrument Cluster)
>  I already pulled out the cluster and ensured that all of the
> plugs there are passing current (whew).
>
> All this started when I beat up my car on a Rough Logging
> road. I promise never to abuse my "Schwartz Rakete" again (german for
> "Black Rocket".  I love it too much to see it hurting.
>

> PS. I fixed my reply address.  Thanx all.....
> Chad Ptasinski
> 1985 8V Scirocco
> <It's a nearly immaculate tire eating stock machine>
> "http://www.cadvision.com/Home_Pages/accounts/chadwick/"

Kristoffer T. Tewkesbury
tewkes@engin.umich.edu
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~tewkes
University of Michigan - College of Engineering