Vvvvvibe problem found!?

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, dogmatic wrote:

|> Also, to add to the situation: The inner cv joints were leaking pretty
|>
|> good when I bought the car a couple months ago... I had the seals
|> replaced
|> immediately.
|
|Not to insult you, did you check them for chunks of metal (ouch, I just
|found some) before changing the boots?

Well, I had the pleasure of going to the VW dealer to have the seals
replaced, it seemed one of the seals was newer than the other froma
previous job, and I wanted to make sure they were done right.  I asked
them to inspect the joints ... but you never know what might have happened
since then due to the fact of previous leakage. :(

However, they don't leak whatsoever now, thank goodness.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An update and a thanks to all who helped, I think I might have found the
problem here guys! :)

I got a chance to change my left front and rear wheels before it got dark
and the vibration seems to have toned down some, and now I can feel some
vibration in my seat (ie. coming from the back...)  Seems to me that the
front left was at least partially to blame!

I picked up huge craftsman rachet today and those sticky rear bolts came
off nicely... they were easily on there at more than 140N-m!!

Tomorow I'll get my wheels balanced (and aligned, not done since I've
owned this car ~2mos) and report back to you all.... :0

Again, thanks! I was begining to dread having to shell out $$ for new
CV's.

~C

'84 Rocco...

  Christopher Mende        ICEMT @ Iowa State Uni
  Home: (515) 292-6658     Office: (515) 294-6738     "One, two, three!"
  bayern.me.iastate.edu    www.icemt.iastate.edu