A/C Removal

Well, I finally got around to removing the A/C from my Scirocco this
weekend.  It was and wasn't as tough as I expected.  For those that know
me, this will be a long winded recount of the entire ordeal (which hasn't
been completed yet).  This is not for the faint at heart or those who just
scan messages.  This is a detailed account so that anyone reading may let
me know where I have erred or may know of a better way to do things, or for
pure entertainment (even though it may not be entertaining, but I will put
all of my measly literary talent into it).  I will put my questions in bold
so that If you don't care to waste your time, I at least hope someone will
help me with the problems I have encountered so far.

First, I must mention what I had to go through to get the new mounts and
such for the alternator, etc.  It all starts at the my local junkyard where
you pay a buck and your allowed to spend all day doing whatever the hell
you want - which for me means tearing apart VW's (sometimes Audi's,
sometimes Porsches) for spare parts and know how for my next job on my own
vehicle.  Well the only vehicle I really need for that day happens to be an
old '78 Scirocco which is all rusted out but has a stock no A/C engine bay
(the only VW in the yard).  One problem, there is a wasps nest in the door
and they don't like me.  Two weeks earlier while trying to get the
necessary parts from this car I was stung on the ear by one of these wasps
causing quite a commotion within the yard (I'm running around cussing,
holding my head).  Anyway, I was hoping after two weeks and cooler weather
the wasps would be gone.  No dice.  So I move on to a 924 and find a
perfectly good working (at least looks good) VDO oil pressure gauge.  I
snag the gauge and the switch/sender/whatever off the block.  That brings
about my first question.  What do I need to do to hook this up and where do
I attach the sender to (right above the oil filter)?  After I get the guage
I decide to run to the local K-mart and purchase some bug spray.  Come
back, spray bugs, now have dead wasps.  I was very happy at this point and
everything I needed came off fairly easy (how often does that happen).
Now for the fun part.  I go home, jack up the front of the car and begin by
removing any bolts in my view that are attached to that conundrum we call
the a/c (the old square medieval looking thing).  Well, after removing
about 30 bolts, the thing still isn't coming off, I first tried to remove
the actual a/c from the housing but was not able to remove the final bolt
which is between the back of the a/c and the head.  Then I remember that I
need to remove the timing belt cover and remove the final two bolts on the
side of the block which support the a/c housing. Ta dahh!  No more A/C,
it's so cool looking into my car and seeing all that room, more room to
work, less weight, better handling (from what I've heard); I can't wait
till I get the car actually running again.  Well, getting the a/c out
wasn't that bad, all my problems really began once I decided to completely
remove the timing belt cover - all of it - not just the metal cover, but
the plastic lower part and the metal middle part.  Neither of these two
were, or are being for that matter, very cooperative.  Was I supposed to
remove these in the first place?  I know there are different opinions on
whether to do this or not, but from the autoxer's I've seen, it seems to be
the preferred way to go.  I just can't remember if they pulled the entire
assembly off.  I spent plenty of time finding all (maybe not all?) of the
bolts that attach these two parts to the block but neither would come out.
 I looked and looked and looked and couldn't quite figure out why the
plastic one wouldn't budge so....I broke out the soldering iron and melted
my way through being careful of the timing belt (which looked about 100k
miles overdue for replacement - I'll ask about this later).  Even after
this butcher job, the part that surrounds the crankshaft pulley STILL
wouldn't come off (and yes I did cut through the bottom part which wraps
around the pulley).  I figure the hell with it and start to work on the
other metal piece.  I pull on it a little, it seems like it's ready to come
out, except for the bottom right corner which disappears behind the other
timing belt pulley to the right of the crankshaft pulley.  Has anyone
figured out that I really only have a vague idea of what I'm doing here.
 No, I'm not stupid, I've just been working on this thing all day and am
anxious to get it done.  At this point it's just sorta fun poking and
yanking at things.  Well, I yank and yank and look again and again and I
can't figure out why this stupid thing isn't coming out from behind that
gear/pulley.  That's where the story ends (I gave up, too many cuts for the
day and not enough sunlight - my garage doesn't have enough light as of
yet, plus it was Saturday and I needed to do some drinkin') and the
questions begin.
1)	Any ideas on what I need to do to remove each one of these timing belt
pieces.  Do I need to remove the pulleys/gears?  Is there a simpler way?
2)	Now that I see what kind of condition my timing belt is in (and since
that area is completely open), I want to replace it.  How bad am I going to
screw up my car if I don't do this right.  I haven't had a chance to do it,
but is there adequate info in my Bentley to correctly complete this switch?
 Any hints or mysteries I should know about?
3)	How much does a new timing belt usually cost (this is my first
purchase)?

Well, that's all I have for now.  I hope I haven't bored anyone too much.
 Please let me know what you think (I prefer not to get any replies simply
stating I'm a bonehead :-)).

John
80 Scirocco S
85 GTI