Question about the "snorkel" base

I have cut and taken off the snorkel in my car for some time now. Last
night 1st-3rd-5th would not go in all the way. I thought "uh oh" tranny
problems. Fortunately it turned out that the base for the snorkel (which,
I confess, is one of the few unexplored areas in my car, and I don't know
exactly where it goes) rusted and fell off right between the linkage.

My question is: do I have to somehow cover the spot where the snorkel
base was, so as to protect it from debris/dirt/etc., or is it ok the way
it is?

Thanks,
	Ilias