Re: Question about the "snorkel" base

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 14:16:44 -0500 (CDT) Ilias Glavinas
<elias@tesla.wustl.edu> writes:

>I have cut and taken off the snorkel in my car for some time now. Last
>night 1st-3rd-5th would not go in all the way. I thought "uh oh" tranny
>problems. Fortunately it turned out that the base for the snorkel
(which,
>I confess, is one of the few unexplored areas in my car, and I don't
>know exactly where it goes) rusted and fell off right between the
linkage.

Uh... Um... Uh <sigh>.  Snorkel.....  What's this "Snorkel" look like?
What's it do. Where was it before you removed it?

Intake tube?  probably not.
Shifter lever? Probably not.
Ok your last clue tells me its that old antiquated tube that is supposed
to be used for gas analysis testing. its got a rubber cap on it AND its
shaped like a snorkel. I suppose that could fall off and do what you say.
Am I right?

>My question is: do I have to somehow cover the spot where the snorkel
>base was, so as to protect it from debris/dirt/etc., or is it ok the
>way
>it is?
>
>Thanks,
>	Ilias

Id really like to help. Really.
If its what I think it is, cap it. Nothing will get in it. The problem is
that you have exhaust gasses flooding the engine compartment. (And
possible getting into the cab. Bad news.)
Was I close?

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and