Re: Spare tire poll

In a message dated 97-09-09 01:31:06 EDT, HOTGTX@aol.com writes:

<< I have question  or two for everyone on the list.  Does anyone NOT drive
 around with a spare tire in their Scirocco?  Do you carry a can of
 FIX-O-Flat?

 My friend doesn't carry a spare in his GTI.  Only when he heads out of town
 does he put his spare in the car.  He has an Orion 12" sub built into his
 spare tire well. Its AWESOME.  I'm considering doing this.  I live in a town
 of 40,000 and can be any where in it within 10 min.  Never to far away from
 home.  What are all your thoughts on it. >>

I carry a full size spare but not in the spare tire well.  It sits on top in
the hatch area.  The reason it's not in the well is because I have a 10
gallon auxiliary tank in there.  Had it for 17 years.  Only put 20 gallons in
when I'm going on long trips.  I also have a compact spare from a Honda
Civic.  Same bolt circle except center hub is slightly smaller than a VW.
 Haven't found a way to machine the hub to fit on a VW yet. The idea is to
have a spare but one that doesn't take up much room.  When I figure how to
enlarge hub, I'll switch it with the full size spare.
-Always carried a spare, used it once in 19 years and it was because someone
slashed my tire with a knife.-

-dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner