Re: Seats for the 85 scirocco 8v

----------
> From: Speriod Ducum <htay@indiana.edu>
> To: scirocco-l@privatei.com
> Subject: Seats for the 85 scirocco 8v
> Date: Monday, September 08, 1997 1:59 PM
>

> Ok!!!  i am going to the junk yard tomorrow.......  could anyone tell me
> how i can detach my seat....  tried looking in my haynes manual.....  but
> it was crap...  nothing in it at all....  also can i basically find any
> seat for the scirocco or only certain year and make of VW????  please
help
> ASAP........
>
> alfred

Alfred,

I'm no authority on this but have changed seats on my 82 Scirocco which I
no longer own.  Memory no longer serves on this one but look at the sliding
mechanism closely.  I remember it being far easier to take the seat out
than put the new ones in but the job really doesn't take that long.  There
is a spring which has to be in a certain position to install the new
seat--that was the real pain.  As far as whether the seats between
different VW's are compatible, I would guess that they are to some extent.
On A1 bodied cars, I think they're all interchangeable, perhaps also on the
A2.  When it comes to the A3 seats, I have absolutely no idea!  As soon as
you finish the job, you'll consider yourself an expert, I remember that
much.  Good luck!

Steve Theodore
88 16V