Re: Clutch Cable Confusion

> My '81 seems to require a clutch cable adjustment every 2 months or so.
> The clutch doesn't seem to disengage when I push the pedal down all the
> way, in other words, I have to increase the free play.  Is this frequency
> of adjustment normal and is this what normally happens: the free play
> decreases?  I thought that as the clutch wore, the free play would
> increase; or so I vaguely remember from my '81 S which seemed to need an
> adjustment only every year or two.  Can someone unconfuse me?  Is this
> indicative or some other clutch malady?  BTW, I never replaced the clutch
> in the '81 S in the course of over 120K miles.  And no, I haven't become a
> leadfoot in my old age...   Thanx for any advice, benton---

I'm a little confused here.  Free play generally refers to the amount
of pedal travel at rest to the point where the slack in the cable is
taken up and you start actually disengaging the clutch.  If it's not
disengaging it would seem that you have too much free play at the
top.

As for frequency of adjustment, I had my new clutch in for 20,000
miles and it's adjustment is still fine.  Frequent adjustment may
mean it's time to replace the cable due to strtching or else rapid
wear of the clutch disc.  It's more likely that it's the cable IMHO.
I'm not real familiar with the throwout bearing on our cars, but that
may be a possibility also.

Rick
hugacub@whidbey.net
Richard.Lackner@entex.com