Clutch Cable Confusion

My '81 seems to require a clutch cable adjustment every 2 months or so.
The clutch doesn't seem to disengage when I push the pedal down all the
way, in other words, I have to increase the free play.  Is this frequency
of adjustment normal and is this what normally happens: the free play
decreases?  I thought that as the clutch wore, the free play would
increase; or so I vaguely remember from my '81 S which seemed to need an
adjustment only every year or two.  Can someone unconfuse me?  Is this
indicative or some other clutch malady?  BTW, I never replaced the clutch
in the '81 S in the course of over 120K miles.  And no, I haven't become a
leadfoot in my old age...   Thanx for any advice, benton---