Re: Winter cars

> >... Ive been looking for a winter car and due to some
> > unatural compulsion have set my mind on a Volkwagen. I found a 72 bug
> > for 1500, need sheet metal flashed in various places which is not a
> > problem. My question is  how are these cars during the winter. I live in
> > Iowa and in the country. So lots of snow, no snow plows, big drifts, and
> > 10 miles of gravel every day. Thanks for any info. Sorry for the
> > NON-SCIROCCO post.

I've owned four or five of them, and they're great cars as far as
driving goes, but they're *cold*!  There is no real heater; what
substitutes is a couple of tubes from the heat exchanger.   The
controls often jam and break under the car, although you can't tell
from operating them that they're broken.  You'll still get as much
heat as normal, but you can't direct it anywhere; wherever it was
going when it broke, that's where it stays.   There's no fan, either.
 You *can* get a fan from JC Whitney, which was my solution.  It
helps a lot.

On the up side, the damn things will go anywhere.  The combination of
rear engine/rear drive is, IMHO, way better for winter driving than
any other.  Deep drifts, though, are gonna be a problem for anything.
The underside of bugs is sealed and nearly flat (they'll actually
float, assuming they're in good shape), so you'll just ride right on
top of drifts, and that's where you'll stay.

Heck, I'd say to go for it; you'll never find a decent 4WD for that
kind of money!

HTH,
Carlee