idle problems with 1.8 Carb (2e2)

Here is the problem;

In the summer, when I start the engine the revs started off at 2000 and
then worked their way down to 1000, sometimes taking a fairly long
period of time (anything from 5 -15 mins).

Now its getting pretty cold here in chilli Scotland (very icy this
morning) the revs start off at 1200 and very quickly drop to 500, at
which point the engine stalls. I need to sit in the car keeping my foot
on the juice for 10 mins before the revs settle at 1000.

Any ideas????

Cheers,
            Tommy
            "Jocko with a 'rocco"