Re: NOS - got it, thanks!

> Hi,
>
> Thanks Mike, Shawn & Jason!
>
> The rest of you - don't bother sending answers, I got it, already!

  You may be ready to quit discussing it, but I'm not :)

  One thing I didn't see mentioned on the posts here regarding nitrous is a very
good effect of nitrous that is a solid part of how you get power from it. Of
course nitrous is chemically better for combustion, containing about 36%
oxygen content, whereas regular air is only 21% or so. But thats only a part
of how it gives more power. When you inject it, it drastically cools the
intake air charge, which makes it become much more dense. There's a few
other ways it adds power, but those are the two main ones I can recall.
   Like Shawn said, its much more precise nowadays than it was in the early
days. When I make custom motorcycle ignitions handle nitrous, I set them up to
retard 2 degrees from stock for every 50hp of nitrous they plan to use. On some
of the more trick setups, I have made it run advanced timing so that it runs
strong normally, but the instant you hit the bottle, it retards back to the
correct nitrous settings, and stays there for a set period after you let off
the nitrous. You can even get controllers that gradually ramp up the nitrous
delivery so that you dont get as much of the engine and transmission wear as
one of the other posts here mentioned. With these controllers, and a well
designed system, it certainly seem to be something that can be run regularly
without really causing any damage. While I have designed these systems, and
gotten alot of feedback, I never have run it myself. My motorcycle is already
making more power than my 16V. I've considered putting it on my 16V, but
haven't got serious enough yet about the fabrication involved. If I
were to put a system on, I'd have to make it a custom project.

My 2 cents,
Brad