Re: cooling system help!

Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> pardon my french but..what the hell????
>
> 2 days ago I blow the coolant hose that runs from the coolant pump to
> the oil cooler...it blows after exiting the freeway after a 50mile
> drive where I noticed no hot temps, I just all of a sudden noticed
> the smell of coolant, pulled into the garage and watched all my
> coolant spray out on the ground. took it to the shop they replaced it
> and said that the thermostat on the block might be bad..but then
> changed their mind when they discovered it was only an air pocked in
> that plastic baffle in the coolant overflow hose (just before it
> enters the overflow resivoir). so for the past 2 days it's been fine,
> even sat in no-go traffic fir 30min..which usually scares me.
>
> today I did an oil change, added some oil additive w/ that teflon
> shit that my C friend recommended. as I'm driving home everythign is
> fine..20mile drive, I pull into my garage,the fan kicks in, then
> Shhhhhhhhhhh I hear coolant being jetted out of a hose and sprayed
> all over my engine bay by the stupid fan that wont go off. I just
> blew the hose that goes from the block to the heater core.
>
> Are these all related? After the shop replaced the hose I know water
> was circulating as i saw cooland flowing into the overflow tank. I
> had my thermostart on the lower radiator replaced about 4months ago.
> I'msure the hoses are old, but don't show obvious signs of rot etc.
>
> I guess i'll check the thermostart on the water pump? tomorrow but
> the shop mentioned something about having to remove the power
> steering something that was in the way and they wanted 1.5hrs labor
> to replace the thermo.
>
> any ideas?
>
> Ryan

I have blown a few hoses too, it is most likely old age.  If
your temps are funny and you have tried everthing you can think
of to fix it and nothing worked, replace the water pump, I did
this after many failed attempts at getting my temps right,
works like a champ now :) (a OEM pump from mark is $43, housing
and impeller).

Another less desireable thing it may be is a
blown head gasket, I am not totally sure, but I think I head
that overheating and bad head gaskets are related.

I think I also heard that if your overflow tank cap is bad then it
will cause problems like this, the pressure will build because
of the bad cap and blow hoses.  1.5 Hrs for a thermostat!!! I can
do it in 15 min (with p/s) ;).  O, and one more thing, there is
only one thermostat, it's in the water pump housing under that
plastic cover that the lower rad hose connects to.  So don't
buy that crap about a termostat on the block?????.

HTH!
Etrik