cooling system help!

pardon my french but..what the hell????

2 days ago I blow the coolant hose that runs from the coolant pump to
the oil cooler...it blows after exiting the freeway after a 50mile
drive where I noticed no hot temps, I just all of a sudden noticed
the smell of coolant, pulled into the garage and watched all my
coolant spray out on the ground. took it to the shop they replaced it
and said that the thermostat on the block might be bad..but then
changed their mind when they discovered it was only an air pocked in
that plastic baffle in the coolant overflow hose (just before it
enters the overflow resivoir). so for the past 2 days it's been fine,
even sat in no-go traffic fir 30min..which usually scares me.

today I did an oil change, added some oil additive w/ that teflon
shit that my C friend recommended. as I'm driving home everythign is
fine..20mile drive, I pull into my garage,the fan kicks in, then
Shhhhhhhhhhh I hear coolant being jetted out of a hose and sprayed
all over my engine bay by the stupid fan that wont go off. I just
blew the hose that goes from the block to the heater core.

Are these all related? After the shop replaced the hose I know water
was circulating as i saw cooland flowing into the overflow tank. I
had my thermostart on the lower radiator replaced about 4months ago.
I'msure the hoses are old, but don't show obvious signs of rot etc.

I guess i'll check the thermostart on the water pump? tomorrow but
the shop mentioned something about having to remove the power
steering something that was in the way and they wanted 1.5hrs labor
to replace the thermo.

any ideas?

Ryan