Re: Seeking advice.... and lots of it!

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Ken Buck wrote:

> I have used DOT 5 for two years now and swear by it.  The reason I
> say to replace all the brake components is that you do not want to
> mix 3 or 4 with DOT 5.  If your system has Dot 3 or 4, you need to
> realy flush out everything with Dot 5.  It is worth it from a
> performance advantage.

DOT 5 fluid has much higher dry and wet boiling points, but it has
some problems - not the least of which being compressibility that
varies with temperature and altitude.  The only reason to use DOT 5
is this - it doesn't eat paint like DOT 3/4 does.  See this URL for
a better explanation:

http://alicudi.usc.edu:80/~jan/vw/Brakes/Brake_Fluids

It's not hard to get DOT 3/4 fluid that performs perfectly well - I
use Castrol GTLMA; if you really want something serious, get the Ford
heavy duty stuff - it's just repackaged Castrol racing stuff (I might
be able to find a PN# if people want it).

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/