Re: list mod results, other Q

Riley McDowall wrote:

> So the other week I did the rear foglight mod on my 16v...went to the
> dealer, bought my 2 brakelights, then went home and drilled out the
> plugs
> in the housing.  I gotta say I liked how they looked at night, and it
> was
> definitely 3 bucks well spent.  But then I noticed the heat was
> melting a
> dimple in each lens...
>
> So obviously the fog light housing isn't designed to let me run a 22W
> bulb
> continuously (even for 45min max).  What do the rest of you do?  You
> use a
> parking light bulb, right Shawn?  I assume the wires for these rear
> fogs
> run up to the dash, up to the headlight switch, right?  If I were to
> get a
> euro fog light switch (or is it light switch?  Somebody has one of
> these
> too) it would just be a matter of running the wires to that switch...
>
> Is there anything I can do to cool things down, like drill a series of
> 1/8"
> holes along the top of the reflector?

  What ever you do, don't drill.
Here's the reply you have been looking for:

1.  Do the mod
2. Purchase a foglight switch (ND has them)
3. purchase front fog lights
4.wire new fog lights
5. then take from the left over position on the fog light switch a wire
and run it to the back end, and split it (use crimps) in the the trunk
area into two wires
6. find the jump wire theat goes to the position, cut it (make sure
there is no series after it, and us a crimper and joiners to join the
two sides to your ne wire
also, make sure you have the positive side by take a voltmeter to the
assy and testing both sides of the circut(when you see it, you will
understand)

--
dharma

78 saab 99L (restoration pushed back to next summer)
83 scirocco 8v (almost done parting out, soon back to junkyard)
85 scirocco 8v (needs OEM axles, needs linkage repaired, needs exhaust)
88 Golf GTI (will be on the road in a couple of weeks)

http://www.cocoloco.com/david/rocco.htm