Re: Port matching Audi 5000 TB

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:58:52 -0400 "Brubaker, John" <JBrubaker@AMF.com>
writes:

>1)I want to clean the inside of the manifold out.  Is there any
>surefire cleansing fluid that could be used to eat through the caked
>on oil type grit (interior as well as exterior)?

There sure is. I found a can of Intake Manifold Cleaner by the same name,
oddly enough. Also what works great is a can of brake cleaner. it does
tend to evaporate pretty quick so you got to work fast. Also what works
great is a garden hose to flush out all the itty bitty shavings.

>2)Is it possible to have shaved off too much of the mounting surface
>for the throttle body?  There is one portion of the intake manifold
>that is close to thin.  The diameter correctly matches the diameter of
>the TB, but there now is only about 3-5mm of actual mounting surface.
> Did I screw up?

While it is possible, I doubt you did any damage. As long as you shaped
the port to match the gasket, it should be fine. And as long as there is
enough room for the gasket to seal the TB to the manifold, your still ok.
Worse comes to worse, you could have some aluminum Tig welded back on and
filed down to fill in any low spot.

>3) Also, while I have this thing off, is there anything else that I
>can do to my engine to gain any performance?

Oh yeah! While you have it off, port match the manifold! How do you do
this you ask, we simple really. Now that you have the feel for what the
dremmel tool will do, heres what you do.
On the manifold runners, (the part with the 4 holes that bolts directly
to the head) You take an intake gasket and place it on the manifold as if
you were installing it. Then you take a scribe and you run it around the
inside of the gasket, scoring a mark to use as a reference guide so you
will know where to remove material from.
If you look at the runner, you will see where the gasket was at and on
the inside there is probably a black ring all around the hole to the
runner. That's where there is too much material.
Wow, this is kinda hard to describe. Basically what your doing is making
the runner match the gasket and the head. What this does is makes a
smooth transition from the intake manifold to the head. The way it is
now, its like a couple steps which puts turbulence into the airflow as it
enters the head. Port matching cleans this up and adds a few ponies.
Especially up top.
HTH even tho its probably confusing.

>I can't wait to get this thing back on.  I really have to thank the
>list for the confidence to do something like this.  Messing with the
>engine is sorta scary to someone who hasn't had any experience with
>such a thing.  Listening to stories and instructions on how to do such
>things, in a way, has gained me the experience that I need to feel
>confident in what I am doing.  Yeah, we kick ass.
>
>John
>80 Scirocco S

When you've never done it before, its harder and scarier as hell. But
when you've at least heard it run through a few times then it makes it a
little easier but still somewhat scarry. I find it amazing how once
you've done it once, your an expert! :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and