Port matching Audi 5000 TB

First thing, the Kansas deal sounds pretty cool.  Maybe I'll take off
an entire month and do some traveling (I'm sorry, I was dreaming
again).  Anyway I think I could probably make it, but my feeling is
that if I'm driving for two days just to get there, more than a three
day event would be nice (not sure how realistic).

Other than that, last night I pulled off my intake manifold (which I
must say was fairly easy).  It was pretty much just six bolts,  a few
screws and I was ready to do some machining.  I just purchased this
badass dremel bit which worked great with the aluminum.  I first made
a template of the throttle body out of a thick piece of poster board,
bolted that down to the manifold and started grinding.  After about
two hours, I had a semi-perfect (the job looks pretty professional to
me) port matched intake manifold.  I do have a couple questions
though:

1)	I want to clean the inside of the manifold out.  Is there any
surefire cleansing fluid that could be used to eat through the caked
on oil type grit (interior as well as exterior)?
2)	Is it possible to have shaved off too much of the mounting surface
for the throttle body?  There is one portion of the intake manifold
that is close to thin.  The diameter correctly matches the diameter of
the TB, but there now is only about 3-5mm of actual mounting surface.
 Did I screw up?
3)	Also, while I have this thing off, is there anything else that I
can do to my engine to gain any performance?

I can't wait to get this thing back on.  I really have to thank the
list for the confidence to do something like this.  Messing with the
engine is sorta scary to someone who hasn't had any experience with
such a thing.  Listening to stories and instructions on how to do such
things, in a way, has gained me the experience that I need to feel
confident in what I am doing.  Yeah, we kick ass.

John
80 Scirocco S