A-Arms etc.

This discussion of A-Arms brings up a point that really annoyed me about
US Sciroccos until 1980. Nevermind that we never got an official version
of the Scirocco GTi - never mind that the Scirocco S came out in 1979
WITHOUT sway bars . . . (ditto 1980, 1981)

VW, in their infinite wisdom, for US Sciroccos decided to route the
brake/fuel lines directly behind the right rear A-Arm mount. If you want
to mount a factory swaybar on the front of these cars, you have to move
these lines - which is not easy. This really pissed me off when i bought
my 1980S. My girlfriend's '78 Scirocco is the same way.

Somebody at VW (finally) became intelligent in 1981 and they relocated
the lines so that sway bars could easily be attached (they also fitted a
rear "axle" predrilled for the rear sway bar.) yipee!

This is wear my knowlege gets shakey (Mk2), I believe VW finally put sway
bars on with the 1983 Wolfsburg edition (or was it '84?) - whenever it
was that they gave us the GTI  big valve JH motor with the choke me
exhaust (my '82 has the "choke me" exhaust too - that will change!)

- ramblings of a Scirocco lover . . .