Re: Audi 5000 TB Project Complete!

Mawster Chadwick wrote:

> (snip)
> Has anyone done this conversion?  I noticed a strange kind of sleeve in the
> small throttle valve hole.  I think it's a Venturi.  Anyway, I notice a lot
> more power, even at half-pedal, before the large valve opens.  I've read about
> Venturi's and they actually speed up airflow by narrowing the air passage
> slightly, and opening up again gradually.  I guess this speeds up the air
> in the middle, and this faster air draws more air in behind it.  Kind of
> like a Velocity Stack.  If I could get-make another Venturi for the larger
> Throttle Valve, I bet there'd be some _serious_ airflow happening.

yah, the restrictor is there to speed up the airflow to make the EGR (exhaust gas
recirculation) work better at lower rpms. this is a simple example of venturi
effect. however, it is still a *restrictor* and that means less peak power -not
more. you wouldn't want it in your new Audi TB because it would defeat the purpose
of less restriction in the first place.

hold up, though. your car is an '85? I don't think that it should have come with
EGR. either you had an ancient TB retrofitted to your car or there is another
function for the restrictor that I don't know about. anyone care to educate me?
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

I'm back!!!