Re: ARGH!!!!!(V-Belts)

Christoper Mende wrote:
> So, yesterday I replaced my belts cause the old ones were nearly cracked
> through... Now I look and the compressor is ALSO out of line! UGH. Well,
> guess what? One of the mounting bolts are missing on the compressor pivot.
> ARGH. Does anyone know offhand what size these bolts are? This is not a
> Yorx compressor.

I've never heard of Yorx, but I have heard of YorK, my Scirocco has one.
When listers first started calling it Yorx I thought it was to rhyme with
sucks, but now everyone calls them that so I didn't know if the opinion was
universal or the ignorance.

> It seems that in no parts store in no manual is there an entry for
> a belt that goes does water pump, compressor(NON YORX), NO Powersteering.
> there is one for WITH yorx, or w NON-yorx WITH powersteering. *head spins*
> Finally I just measured what I had and told them to get me a duplicate,
> and FAST. :-)

I've always had a problem with my A/C belt. Most V-belts are made with a
38 degree angle (as I recall) but my A/C belt is another angle. Even if the
length is right, the sides of the belt don't grip the sides of the pulleys
since they are not in contact for the most part.  (The better belt makers
e.g Gates, show in their application list that none of their belts will work,
while the cheap belt application lists figure if the length is right it must
fit.) Even when the A/C wasn't working properly tensioning the belt helped
hold everything in position and significantly reduced the wear on the
alternator and compressor mounting bushings.

I know you won't have this problem, but for others it might help.

Regards,
Bob Farrell     bfarrell@rtis.ray.com