ARGH!!!!!

Have you ever just wanted to pelt the previous owner of one of your cars?

The first thing I had done w/ my rocco was replace the motor mounts...OH
what a difference a day (or mount) makes!

Well, as I'm discovering, this previous yahoo must have run the car in
that fashion for quite some time, cause the more I look at it the more I
find F**ked up. (this is an '84 wolfsburg rocco)

So far it's nothing serious. First, I notice my alternator is abit off
kilter w/ the the water pump/compressor belt. Hmmmm. I loosen the
alternator, and the swivel mount is completely worn. I can literaly wobble
the alternator around on it's bracked almost a full centimeter!!
Apparently the bushing(s) are completely deteriorated.

I went to the dealer and they show 1 metal bushing that fits in the center
of the pivot hole for the alternator (where the mounting bolt passes
through). But my bentley shows 2 poly/plastic bushings on either end.
HELP! Which one is right?? I actually looked at the dealer microfiche w/
the parts guy...

Additionally I attempted to remove the hex bolt, but it is nearly round as
is, and if I'm gonna yank it out, I want to replace it. I can only imagine
what kind of screwy part the dealer is going to hook me up with. DOH. The
bolt was loose when I got the car w/ 2 additional nuts placed in between
the bolt head and the alternator mount. Wha??

So, yesterday I replaced my belts cause the old ones were nearly cracked
through... Now I look and the compressor is ALSO out of line! UGH. Well,
guess what? One of the mounting bolts are missing on the compressor pivot.
ARGH. Does anyone know offhand what size these bolts are? This is not a
Yorx compressor.

I plan on making a trip to the closest dealer (30min I-state drive) and
hope I make it there w/o jumping a belt. I guess it's been OK this far...

Well, I know it's jsut a few minor things (not like my engine has 0
compression in a cylinder or anything!) *knocks on wood three times* but I
find it frustrating to have to patch up these silly and almost trivial
kinds of neglect!

One more thing before I go! (AHA!) This is how my belts are laid out.

                       A                   A = Alternator
                       _                   B = Compressor
                       O\                  C = Waterpump
                       \  \
                ___------\O| B
               |O         /
                ----___O/

Now, bear with me, I'm no ASCII artist! :) but... is this a conventional
setup?? It seems that in no parts store in no manual is there an entry for
a belt that goes does water pump, compressor(NON YORX), NO Powersteering.
there is one for WITH yorx, or w NON-yorx WITH powersteering. *head spins*
Finally I just measured what I had and told them to get me a duplicate,
and FAST. :-)

On a better note, I ordered 2 outer CV boot/joint kit for $86 per kit and
will get it installed Saturday. WOohooo!

~C

ps. I'm really not usually that on edge!

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-294-6658