Fuel pump prob?

Howdy people:

Recently, I inquired about the amount of current a fuel pump for my '87 8v
should draw. I was told 3-5 amps nominal, 7-8 max. Well, my pump is drawing
8.75 amps. Could this be a bad transfer pump starving the main, or just a
bad main pump?

I only have a problem with the car starting cold. Once warm, it drives up
steep hills, makes sharp turns, and whatever else one could think of,
without any sputtering. When cold starting though, it cranks for about 6-7
seconds before sputtering to a start. Usually, I open the throttle fully,
and it starts much easier. After it starts cold, it runs terrible until
warm, or maybe in my case, until pressurized.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Paul Hanley