Re: Hey all!

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:20:22 -0600 (MDT) Night Shadow
<soltwede@ucsub.colorado.edu> writes:

>Well, just wanted to say hey to everybody....went to my first autocross
on
>sat! Well, it was just a drivers school....but it was alot of fun! 2
>fatalities though, I just COULD NOT get the sloalom down right, ended up
>eating a fog light on a cone, also ran into fuel stavation problems on
>hard right handers(any suggestions?)

Yes on both. First, drive slow to be fast. Sounds completely stupid
(Yeah, stoopid too) but in the world of autox, its the absolute truth.
The trick to slaloms is to maintain your speed through the slalom. Don't
jab on the gas, then on the brake ect, ect, ect. It really unbalanced the
car. Maintain the fastest speed you can through the slalom with a steady
throttle position. This is true especially on long slalom sections.

Fuel starvation:
There's 2 way's to fix this. You can either run with more fuel. (Which is
what I do. at least 1/2 tank, sometimes more.) and/or bring extra fuel
with you to the track so if it turns out to have a long/fast sweeping
right hander you can add a few gallons to compensate for the chugg
factor. OR;
you can install a later Scirocco fuel system that has the transfer pump
and fuel pump housing ect. it works like this. (Basically) The transfer
pump is in the fuel tank. it pumps fuel into the little res that the fuel
pump sits into. When your in the corners, the car will run off of the
fuel that is in the fuel pump res, ect. That can be a little more
difficult since earlier Scirocco's Don't have the provisions for the
newer fuel pump housing ect. Im sure it can be done. Id like to do this
to my Scirocco so I wont have to run on so much fuel in the tank. (Weight
means everything you know!) Then again, as Paul pointed out to me, my car
seems to be stronger with a full fuel load so.... who knows.

> I recommend this to any of you guys out there....spend a day *REALLY*
>driving your car!

Hmm, I'll have to give this a try someday....  :)

>Hella rear "Scirocco" reflector(fits between taillights)...$20
>***might have 2 of the reflectors...****
>Eric

Hmm, id be interested in one of these! Where does the license plate get
moved to?

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and