Re: Mounts

DAHORSE2@aol.com wrote:

> I'm new to the list and have a question about motor mounts.  The car is an
> '88 'rocco 16V and we have had to replace the front motor mount 3 times and
> the rear trans mount twice.  We have ordered the rear trany mount from
> Autotech and trying to find out what is going on here.  Is there something
> else we should do to reinforce the mounts in anyway?  It is just getting a
> little old.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kyle
> Dahorse2@aol.com

Welcome to the list!  There could be a few causes for this, the first of
which, I must warn you.  Check the front crossmember (where the front
mount
cup bracket is) for cracks, CHECK THIS FIRST!  If it does have cracks
you need to get it repaired (your local frame shop $$$) or it will just
get worse and eventually break, push your radiator up and mess up your
hood.  This is the worst case.

The other (more likely) things to check are the bracket that bolts to
the
engine, make sure it is not bent.  The front mount should be centered in
the cup if properly aligned.  You may also need to replace the passenger
side mount,  16vs are known to have these go bad when they get over 100k
mi. (this is most likely the problem).   Signs of a bad pass mount are
alot
of vibration in the car, the downpipe hitting the sway bar (when you
step on the gas you get a gawd awful RRRRAAAAAA) and excess ware on the
other mounts (I too replaed the tranny mount 3 to 4 times befor I
finally
did the passenger side one).

HTH!
Etrik