Re: 90 amp Alternator

> i don't have a/c, but i was thinking of putting in a 90 amp alternator this
> weekend (headlights go slighlty dimmer when my stereo pumps out a lot of
> bass). has anyone upgraded their 65 to a 90? is it just a matter of
> switching them? or does it entail a lot more? any help would really be
> appreciated.

    I did this mod for my 79 with AC and what a pain.  I have also done it
  without AC and it is much easier, cuz of the abundance of working
  space.  It is quite the easy task.  When I did mine, the only real
  change was the wiring.  My old alternator had a plug that fit into the
  back of the alternator whereas the new one just had an O-ring fitting on
  the end of the charging wire that you bolted down to the alternator.
  I used the same bracket, same pulley, and I believe the same belt.  I
  would suggest beafing up the wiring to the battery with at least two
  8 guage wires, perhaps 6 gauge if you want to be on the safe side.
    When I helped a friend put a 90 amp into his, he didnt have AC and
  it was rather easy.  I believe he might have had to get a new pulley
  along with the new wiring.  I think the bracket he used just had to
  be switched around from the normal position with his old alternator but
  dont qoute me on that.  I believe I have a rebuilt AL30x and my friend
  purchased an AL27x from the junkyard.  I would check for those two
  model numbers if I were you.  I know there are more but I cant recall
  the models numbers at this moment.
    Once you get the install done, you will be happy, especially if you
  plan to upgrade the headlights or stereo.  Having a 90 amp unit in my
  rocco sure helps when I have 430watts coming out of the front end on
  highbeam, soon to be 480watts  =)

 Andre'