Re[2]: Rear brake woes continue...

     The same problems exist accross the product line including Audi, my
     Audi has almost the exact braking system of the VR6's.  However, rear
     disk problems crop up in almost any make and model.  The main reason
     is simply they are not used.  80% of daily driving braking is done on
     the front brakes.  It was not uncommon for me to get 100,000 miles on
     a set of rear brakes on my Rabbit's / rear drum cars.

     If you noticed the Japanese cars rarely have rear disks, or until
     recently anyways, because they were more concerned with reliability
     perceptions.

     I have not owned a single rear disk car that did not give me some form
     of grief.

     Rear disks are GREAT IF you;

     1) race
     2) live on or drive mountain roads
     3) drive the Autobahn and need to slow from 100+mph

     Also, if you have rear disks, do not use engine braking (i.e.
     downshifting) to aid in stopping.  My wife (and I) is very guilty of
     downshifting and my new calipers/rotors/pads on the Audi are already
     acting up from lack of use.  So now I shut off the ABS (its
     switchable) and JUMP on the brakes frequently in hopes of un-glazing
     my rotors.  Also, make sure you use your e-brake, and your e-brake
     works.

     BTW:  I do not think you can use Corrodo wheels on your car as there
     offset is 40mm or around the 40 something range.

     -Paul
     90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v (rear disks)
     87 Scirocco 16v  (rear disk)
     87 Jetta GLI (rear disk, and calipers dying)
     63 Bug (4 wheel drums, god I love em!)