Rear brake woes continue...

Hiya!

You are all probably quite bored by now of my continuing woeful rants about
my rear disc conversion on my '82. To remind you, I installed the rear axle
from an 88 16v, along with the attached discs...

My biggest concern now is the fact that the e-brake is seized. I have
checked the cable, and they move freely in their sleeves, but after
spraying 1/4 can of liquid wrench on the levers on the calipers, (if you
know what I mean) letting it soak in overnight, still nothing, not budging.
I took the wheels off last night, and tapped the frozen lever with a hammer
and a punch, but no budging.

I went into the dealer today, and ordered a Bentley (I'm no idiot, and I
can't put up with this retarded Haynes manual any more...) and talked the
brake problem over with the guy behind the counter. He says that he's seen
it before when the caliper has seized, and is not repairable. Just for
laughs, I asked him the price for new calipers. Heh, $480 CDN each!
($350USD) Uhm, no thanks... Is this so, have any of you encountered this
problem on your 16vs? The calipers themselves haven't seized, just the
e-brake part that seems to be spring-loaded.

Thanks again everyone!

Greg
82 Scirocco 1.8 8v
91 Jetta