Re: Rear brake woes continue...

<<  The calipers themselves haven't seized, just the
 e-brake part that seems to be spring-loaded.

 Thanks again everyone!

 Greg
 82 Scirocco 1.8 8v
 91 Jetta >>

In my experience, if the "spring loaded" lever doesn't turn then they are
stuck.   This is a fairly commom problem on our VWs.  It has happened to me
twice.  I'd say go to a junkyard and make sure they move before you buy them
next time.   Actually, I would be knocking on that kid's door that sold them
to you if he ever did tell you that they were fine.   VW friendly junk yards
are a good place to look.  I'm sure Mark at Adirondack probably has a caliper
or two.  Try him first.  (www.germanautoparts.com).  If he doesn't have any,
then call 1800-VWPARTS and talk to Eric.  That's where I got mine a couple
years ago.  Tell him Dan May sent ya.
Also, I think the guy at the dealership is pullin your leg.  I never have had
it done but I am sure there's somebody out there that rebuilds the damn
things.  Doesn't Rapid Parts sell remanufactured ones????  I bought one from
them a long time ago and don't remember if it was new/used/rebuilt.  It broke
anywho.   Anybody know?
DANMAY
8716VScirocco  83GTi
http://members.aol.com/scirocco87